A Letter from Richard D. VonOrsdale


1873 Foxworthy Ave.
San Jose, CA 95124 USA
21 April 1990

President Aquino
Malacanang Palace
Manila, Philippines

Dear Madam President,

I am respectfully writing this letter to you on behalf of Captain Danilo D. Lim, one of your officers currently being held in maximum security detention at Fort Bonifacio for his participation in the December military rebellion. I cannot offer any advice for I know nothing about Philippine politics. I cannot offer any words as to “Danny’s” guilt or innocence because that is a matter of Philippine law and courts to determine. The purpose of this letter is to request clemency in Danny’s case and to provide some insight into his character and conduct.

I first met Danny during the summer of 1974 when he and I were new cadets undergoing the rigors of a West Point “Plebe’s” first summer. I believed then, as I still do, that the Philippines could not have sent a better representative of all that is good in the Philippines than Danilo D. Lim. I thought then “if all the officers in the Philippine Army are as idealistic as Danny, what a wonderful group to which to serve.” Watching Danny over the following four years did not diminish that thought. Everyone at West Point who knew him, knew him to be fiercely idealistic: honesty beyond question, unfailingly trustworthy, and unswervingly loyal. He was known as a man who would follow his conscience and pursue his ideals regardless of the personal risks.

Danny so impressed my parents that, after their first meeting, Danny was considered a regular member of our family. Several times, even when I could not get away, my parents would travel to West Point to pick him up for a weekend’s leave. My father often remarked to me that he wished Danny could serve the US Army because of the need for men such as he in our ranks.

For four years at West Point Danny excelled academically and athletically. He told me many times that he felt it was his duty to his country and “his people” to do as well as he possibly could.

I did not lose track of Danny after our graduation in June, 1978. We corresponded often. I was never more proud of him than when I learned that he won the Gold Cross for gallantry-in-action and was seriously wounded while fighting the Communist insurgents in Mindanao. He loved his subsequent assignments to the Philippine Military Academy because it was there where he felt he could impart to the young Cadets the high ideals of love of country, care for one’s troops, and concern for one’s people.

Danny came back to the United States for additional military training. I often spoke with him about his possible advanced civilian schooling in the US and even about the possibility of immigration to the US. He was always adamant about his desire to return to the Philippines. He always said that his country, his soldiers, and his people needed him.

Whatever Danny did, I am sure that it was a result of his genuine concern for the Filipino people and the soldiers entrusted into his care. He is not the kind of man who is motivated by personal gain. He is my best friend in the world and I love him as I would love my older brother. Please Madam President, take into consideration Danny’s idealistic nature when the time comes to review his case.

I know Danny and I understand professional soldiers and what motivates them (I was retired from the US Army as a Captain for permanent physical disabilities uncured in the line-of-duty). Even though I am not a wealthy man, I will fly to the Philippines and will testify on Danny’s behalf if you need any assistance with his case. You have but to call on me.

Respectfully yours,

(Signed)
Richard D. VonOrsdale

Copy: General Renato De Villa
Chief of Staff, AFP

Secretary Fidel Ramos
Secretary of National Defense

New Posts