A high school student's interview with BGen Danny Lim

Below is the transcript of a blogger discussion group talking about BGen Danny Lim that was posted at www.ellentordesillas.com.

  1. SULBATZ Says:

    Whewww!!! At last, nakatuntong din ako ng Maynila after being away for a few months. Mas malamig pala ang beer dito. Hehehehe.

    I got interested dito sa thread about Penafrancia and Gen Danny Lim. Kanina nakita ng mga kasama ko sa bahay na nagbabasa ako ng blog ni Ate Ellen. They noticed nga this thread na na-mention si Gen Lim. Yung isang bisita namin mentioned something about a child or high school student ata yun na nag-interview kay Gen Lim as part of her school assignment. I am very interested on what questions were asked and how Gen Lim answered it. Am trying to find out more details about it. Baka maya-maya makuha ko yun. Konting snooping lang. Kukwento ko sainyo pag nakita ko mamaya. Hehehehehe

  2. SULBATZ Says:

    Wow, I got what I wanted….and fast at that. I thought it would be in a folder packaged as a school report, but instead, what was handed me is a xerox copy of the original, in Gen Lim’s own handwriting.

    Six (6) questions were asked of him by this child on 22 October 2007.

    1. Did you intend to become a soldier?
    2. Who and what inspired you to become one?
    3. What did you expect life in the military?
    4. Do you feel fulfilled or frustrated as a soldier?
    5. Will you encourage the youth to become a soldier and serve the country?
    6. Who is your personal hero and why?

    His answer to question #6 is very interesting.

  3. Ellen Says:

    It’s okay Sulbatz.I’m interested to know his answer.

  4. SULBATZ Says:

    Q#1. Did you intend to become a soldier?

    Ans: As a young man, soldiery as a profession was farthest from my mind. Had we the means to support my college studies, (taking up a course I truly like), I should either be a physician or an engineer now. Even with a college scholarship, other expenses were still considerable. I was a freshman at UP when some classmates (some had elder brothers at PMA) convinced me to to take the entrance exam for PMA with them. I did very well in the exam and eventually decided to enter the Academy. After one year at PMA, I took another competitive exam for USMA at West Point and was lucky to be selected to represent the country as a member of USMA class ‘78. Having gone through all the preparations for a military career (1 yr at PMA and 4 yrs at West Point), while not initially inclined to it, I have embraced and learned to love the vocation.

  5. SULBATZ Says:

    Q#2. Who and what inspired you to become one?

    Ans: Honestly, no one in particular inspired me to become a soldier. My mother was so much against the idea of me, the youngest of her 5 boys, entering the Academy that she must have gone to all the churches she could go to praying that I flunk the entrance exam. I guess pragmatic considerations and some “peer pressure” from my UP freshman classmates helped me become one.

  6. SULBATZ Says:

    Q#3. What did you expect life in the military?

    Ans: I expected that life in the military would be difficult and would offer challenges that not very many would experience. That in many ways, it is, in a sense, tantamount to sacrifice. I expected the kind of training that would build character, instill discipline and imbue one with the moral courage to arm him for the realities associated with the chosen profession. I expected professionalism at all levels.

  7. SULBATZ Says:

    Daming typo…sorry.

  8. SULBATZ Says:

    cont….

    Q#4. Do you feel fulfilled or frustrated as a soldier?

    Ans: I feel fulfilled having developed that character and sense of self-discipline I believe I have put to good use in all the modest accomplishments I have undertaken while performing my sworn duties. I am blessed by the many experiences I’ve gone through which you can’t find if you’re not in the military. I am frustrated when I observe that the actions and attitudes of our leaders (both civilian and military) sharply contrast with the ideals that we were supposed to have internalized.

  9. SULBATZ Says:

    Q#5. Will you encourage the youth to become a soldier and serve the country?

    Ans: Even with all its defects (mainly the faults of senior military people who have allowed themselves to be prostituted by partisan considerations and personal aggrandizements), the military remains a noble and honorable profession. I would encourage our young people to join the service. But one word of caution, be prepared for its disappointments. It is not a perfect organization.

  10. Ellen Says:

    Where is #6?

  11. SULBATZ Says:

    Sorry Ate Ellen, I have to call some people just to get my data right kasi yung sagot ni Gen Lim sa #6 got me interested and made me recall some incidents and stories in the past. I happen to be one of the audience sa kwentuhan and I just have to check with some people I remember who were there kung tama yung recollections ko.

  12. SULBATZ Says:

    Q#6. Who is your personal hero and why?

    Ans: My personal hero and a very dear friend - Haydee Yorac. She embodied everything - good, right, just and the truth. This is not my first time to be detained for my principles and convictions. For my involvement in the Dec ‘89 military rebellion, I was jailed for almost three years. During those times, Haydee was a frequent visitor. And we have maintained our very close friendship till the time she went ahead of us. If she were alive today, she would be lawyering for me.

  13. SULBATZ Says:

    What struck me about this revelation of Gen Lim in regard to his answer to Q#6 is that at that very same period where his friendship with the late Haydee Yorac was developing, another friendship was being developed with another Marine officer several miles away from the detention center of the former in 1989.

    The then Major Miranda, who was a Battalion Commander of the 3rd Marine Bn in Sulu, had his first encounter with Haydee Yorac, who was then with the party of FVR, Ninez Cacho Olivares and some local politicians. This first encounter with the much respected lady would soon bloom into a deep friendship until her very last days.

    Gen Miranda, when asked the same question as that of Q#6, would answer the same as Gen Lim’s.

    Unfortunately, both are now in incarceration...


New Posts